Thursday, November 8, 2012

No More H8 Day

If you just want to see nail pictures, scroll to the end. =)


I've had my fair share of drama in my life and try my best to stay out of it now. I've stayed far away from the issue that inspired today's anti-bullying campaign in the nail community. After giving it some thought, I decided that I wanted to support anything that had to do with standing up against bullying. It's an issue that I'm very passionate about as a former elementary school teacher and as someone who was bullied herself. 

I don't like to dwell on the past so I won't go into details about my experience with bullying. I do know, from what I went through that the emotional scars left by hurtful words and actions never go away. They eventually fade but they are still there. Understanding that shaped who I was as a teacher and person. I can not stand bullying on any level. It's wrong, it's not ok, it needs to stop. 

As an adult, I still feel guarded when it comes to letting new people into my life. As a little girl, I let people walk all over me. My self-esteem was in the toilet and I thought I deserved to be treated the way I was. I know differently now. Unfortunately, I've swung to the other extreme and have become hyper sensitive about how I am treated. If I feel someone is mistreating me, the walls go up and it's almost impossible for that person to gain my trust. I'm working on a happy medium, but it's hard! 

When I first started this nail blog, I was really self conscious about my pictures. I'm still self conscious about them, but I'm starting to feel a little more confidant. I have shaky hands. Strangers have commented on them. Friends have commented on them. They've been shaky since High School and I don't know why. Having shaky hands makes it really hard for me to paint my nails nicely. To make it worse, I had a herniated disc in my neck that was squishing my spinal cord. The little bugger weakened my hands. As a result, I sometimes struggle with doing things with my fingers like buttoning buttons and you guessed it, painting my nails. When I first started painting my nails, it was really hard for me to control the brush. I was determined to get better. I decided if I practiced long enough, I'd develop muscle memory and improve. It's been a year, and it's not as hard to paint my nails anymore but I still struggle. 


Luckily, I've only had positive comments on my blog. I'd be really bummed if someone criticized me. I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. Like everyone else, I thrive on support and positive feedback. It pisses me off when I see people mistreat others. No one knows what it's like to be someone else. Let's just be kind to each other, ok? 

Here are two different purple manis. One is from when I first started this blog and the other is recent. I dedicate this post to anyone who has been bullied and to the fight to stop it. 



Thanks for reading, I know it was very long today. =)

-Mira

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for speaking out! I'm honestly amazed at how many of us nail bloggers have shaky hands. I never would have guessed it before reading all of these posts today. I have a slight tremor as a result of epilepsy. Thank you again for sharing your story and your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete


  2. <3 <3 <3

    Reader from Norway :)

    I'll share your words, but can I use the pic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the No H8 picture isn't my creation but it's free for all to use. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your honesty and I have to say your latest purple mani is way better than your first one. I don't think anybody would guess you have trembling hands when seeing your pictures now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to this post girl! We all need to be a little kinder! ♥ I love seeing how much you've improved! You have gotten really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank u for your post. I recently went back to college for the Nail Technician program.i was super excited, but I felt like i had to defend why I wanted to do nail art because I already have my Masters degree. I don't want to be a social worker anymore, well when doing nails i do!

    Well, after 5 classes i had to take a medical leave because the MRI revealed a HERNIATED DISC IN MY NECK. I have been having such extreme radiating pain. It is pinching a nerve in my dominate right arm. I can't brush my teeth, look down, etc. physical therapy did a strength grip test...my left hand is 70, my right 40 :(. I have had 2 epidurals which helped tremendously! Now I don't have radiating, but pins and needles and my arm is heavy like lead, but it doesn't hurt. Disappointment doesn't fit this. It took me a lot to go back to school. Hoping i can get clearance to re enroll in the spring 2013. It is nice to hear someone else had herniated disc..I don't feel so alone. shaky hands unite !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post Mira. It usually isn't easy for one to disclose something so personal. I appreciate this and as much as I always read every post you made via email. I made it a point to drop you a comment to say, kudos for this post, for being strong and for being who you are.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comments. They have really touched my heart. I got a little sniffly. I'm tender, what can I say? =)

    Olivia, I completely understand. I have a degree and want to become a nail tech if I ever get well enough to do it. Nails just make me happy. My husband thankfully has a good job so I'm able to stay home and focus on getting better. Being in pain 24/7 is....hard. It wears down on your soul. Once I adjusted to the pain and my new normal, I was able to be happy again. Some days it's harder than others to be happy but it is possible. I am so glad that your epidurals worked. Keep in touch, I'd love to know if you get to re-enroll and how your neck is doing.

    AppleliciousMe, thank you so much for your sweet words. They cheered me up today. Thank you for that.

    Love all of my readers! You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post has really made me feel good. I think all nail art artist do have shakey hands to a degree. I've just recently started and I hope I get better over time. But no one is going to make me feel bad about how not good I am right now.(this isn't an intentional promo) that's what my blog is about the process of getting good at my nail art. and if someone viewing it doesn't get that then that's their problem, they don't have to look at my bad nail art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's right, Mystie! I'm glad you liked my post. That makes me smile! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first I've seen of your blog and the first entry I read. Let me just say that your story is inspirational, and really underscores your point about how no one really knows what any other person goes through. You've reminded me (a serially critical person), that everybody has their struggles, even with something as silly/fun as nail polish, but that we all try our best. Thanks for sharing your story and being part of this phenomenon, I think we can all stand to be reminded that positive criticism has its place, but that ultimately, it is still important (and rewarding!) to be kind and spread the love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the lovely comment Laura. =*)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is the first time i've read your blog, and i never would have known you have shaky hands! either way, no matter what your nails look like, polish is a great way to express yourself. keep doing what you're doing! :D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated! Please be respectful, comments with links will be deleted.